A gym bag is one of the necessities when going to a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu class. You don’t want to walk in with just your gi and realize you may have forgotten some other essentials that you only remember when you need it at the moment.
We have listed for your some Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Gym bag essentials that will provide useful for you the next time you step into training:
Extra Shorts and rash guard
It is common to do after-training rolls to get that extra energy out of your system. But when the weather is hot and humid, rolling in the gi can get uncomfortable. Having an extra pair of shorts and rash guards means you will be ready to roll at any time.
This type of tape is mostly used in grappling martial arts like BJJ and Judo. The constant tugging and pulling of the gi may wear out your hands and leave them with scratches, blisters, and even potentially weaken the joints. Athletic tape is perfect to cover all those vulnerable areas as well as reinforce the joints in the fingers, toes, ankles, and wrists.
A mouthguard is a necessary piece of equipment for all combat sports and martial arts as it is used to protect the teeth and jaw from injuries from impact. Biting down on a mouth guard while sparring will ensure your teeth won’t smash against each other.
It is very important to mold your mouthguard into the shape of your teeth before using it in training. Here is a quick step by step guide to molding your mouthguard
- Fill some boiling water in a cup then drop your new mouthguard inside.
- After half a minute to a minute, the mouthguard should start softening up. When you feel the mouthguard is soft enough, remove it from the cup using tongs.
- Shake off the hot water from the mouthguard for a few seconds then place it in your mouth. Bite down and shape it until it feels comfortable. Once your are satisfied with the fit, place it in a cold glass of water to harden.
- If you want to reshape it, just start the process again.
- If you find the mouthguard too big, you may use scissors to trim the edges off until the size suits your liking.
First aid kit
Injuries are very prominent in any sport. It is crucial to have a First aid kit in hand just in case the injury may require immediate attention.
Some med kit necessities:
- Medical tape
- Antiseptic solution
A grooming and shower kit is another essential for anyone who trains in any kind of sport or martial art. It is good to shower right after training to keep yourself safe from bacteria like staph. You don’t want to wait until you get home to get cleaned up as the longer you wait, the higher the chances of getting a bad infection.
What should be in your grooming kit?
- After training clothes
- Shampoo and soap
- Shower Towel
- Face Towel
- Tooth Brush and tooth paste
This may be the last on the list, but it is one of the moment important items to have. A good water container is essential for anyone that does physical training as it is your source for hydration in between
Tips on finding the right water container:
- Opt for temperature regulating water containers made of metal
- Look for BPA-free logos if you want to get a plastic water container
- Get a container that holds at least 2 litre so you don’t have to keep refilling